Anthem Inc. Named One of America’s Most JUST Companies by Forbes and JUST Capital
INDIANAPOLIS --(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 12, 2019-- Today, Anthem Inc. (NYSE: ANTM) was named one of America’s Most JUST Companies for 2020, according to Forbes and JUST Capital , one of the leading corporate measurement platforms for the multi-stakeholder economy. Anthem ranked seventh on the list, and was the highest-ranked company in the health care providers category.
The list of America’s Most JUST Companies celebrates U.S. corporations like Anthem that outperform their peers in the Russell 1000 on the priorities of the American people – including issues like fair pay, ethical leadership, good benefits and work-life balance, equal opportunity, customer treatment and privacy, community support, environmental impact, and delivering shareholder return.
“We are delighted to be named as one of America’s most JUST companies,” said Gail K. Boudreaux , President and CEO of Anthem, Inc. “Every one of our more than 60,000 associates takes this responsibility seriously – making a meaningful impact in our communities is one of our fundamental values. We are very proud of this recognition, and believe that being a responsible corporate citizen means working to shape our company, our communities and our world for the better.”
Anthem's ranking on America’s Most JUST Companies for 2020 reflects several commitments and initiatives advanced by the company over the past year. These include:
- Commitment by the Anthem Foundation to enhance the health and well-being of individuals and families in communities around the nation through $40 million of active grant programming. The Foundation is focused on addressing social drivers of health, including food insecurity, housing, transportation and education. By providing more than 76,000 associate volunteer hours in 2018, Anthem and Anthem Foundation have made a meaningful difference.
- Anthem Foundation and Feeding America® have partnered to develop the Food is Medicine program which connects Feeding America food banks with hospital outpatient clinics to screen patients for food insecurity and connects them to resources to overcome food insecurity and related health issues. Feeding America recently named Anthem Foundation a Leadership Partner for their significant insights and resources to bring about a hunger-free America.
- Implementing programs that make healthcare more accessible and affordable. Examples include the creation of Anthem’s new pharmacy benefits manager, IngenioRx, expanding value-based care programs, and addressing the underlying drivers of health.
- Ensuring that the company’s offerings address the unique and diverse needs of the people we serve, by drawing from different perspectives, experiences and ideas of all associates. This commitment begins with Anthem’s Board of Directors, which includes 40% women and 40% ethnic minorities. Across the company’s workforce, 73% are women and 42% are minorities.
- Committing to sourcing 100% of the electricity Anthem uses with wind and solar energy by 2025, by joining the RE100. Anthem recently joined this global initiative bringing together influential businesses focused on renewable energy.
Anthem has also been recognized as a Top 20 company on the Wall Street Journal ranking on diversity and inclusion in the workplace; on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index; and as one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies.
Learn more about Anthem's commitment to corporate responsibility including its environmental, social and governance reporting in accordance with GRI Guidelines at http://www.anthemcorporateresponsibility.com/.
“America’s Most JUST Companies are measurably outperforming their peers on the key Issues Americans care about most: taking care of employees by paying a fair and living wage, providing good benefits, as well as equal opportunity and career development,” said Martin Whittaker , CEO of JUST Capital . “Creating value for shareholders and stakeholders is not a zero sum game, with JUST companies earning 6% higher Return-on-Equity than their peers.”
All of America’s Most JUST Companies will be included in Goldman Sachs Asset Management’s JUST U.S. Large Cap Equity ETF (Ticker: JUST) – the first exchange-traded fund constructed from JUST Capital’s annual Rankings.
About America’s Most JUST Companies Rankings
The JUST Capital Rankings evaluate the 1,000 largest publicly traded U.S. companies on a range of factors determined through one of the most comprehensive survey processes ever conducted on public attitudes toward corporate behavior, engaging 9,000 American respondents in 2019 and 96,000 total participants over the past six years. Both the JUST 100 – the top 100 companies in the JUST Rankings – and Industry Leaders lists, which break down companies’ relative rank within their respective industry verticals, will be featured in the November issue of Forbes , with additional stories at www.forbes.com/just100 and a comprehensive interactive ranking and benchmarking platform at www.justcapital.com.
About JUST Capital
JUST Capital , an independent, nonprofit organization, aligns business practices with the priorities of the American people to ensure capitalism works for all. Our research, rankings, indexes, and data-driven tools help people make more informed decisions about where to invest, work, and buy to direct capital toward companies advancing a more just future.
About Anthem, Inc.
Anthem is a leading health benefits company dedicated to improving lives and communities, and making healthcare simpler. Through its affiliated companies, Anthem serves more than 77 million people, including over 40 million within its family of health plans. We aim to be the most innovative, valuable and inclusive partner. For more information, please visit www.antheminc.com or follow @AnthemInc on Twitter.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191112005300/en/
Source: Anthem Inc.